This Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta is simple to make and delicious! The puréed roasted butternut squash sauce contains no dairy or nuts, making it perfect for anyone with food allergies or intolerances. Plus, it’s so creamy you would never guess it’s made of vegetables!
8oz (227g) spaghetti or other noodle of choice, cooked
2.5 cups cubed butternut squash (I used frozen)
⅓ medium onion, sliced (or ½ small)
2 cloves garlic
1/ tsp oregano
¼ tsp basil
⅛ tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste
1.5 tbsp olive oil
Remaining sauce ingredients:
1 cup vegetable broth
2.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
¾ tsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp pasta water
Optional, for serving:
Parmesan cheese (regular or vegan)
- Spread the butternut squash, onion, and garlic across a medium-sized, parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil (about 1.5 tbsp) and season with herbs, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Bake this mixture at 425F for ~20-25 minutes, until the onions and garlic have started to brown.
- Add the sheet pan contents to a small or medium-sized pot along with the additional sauce ingredients. Purée with an immersion blender until smooth. Gently warm the sauce on the stovetop as your waiting for your noodles to boil.
- Once noodles have cooked, strain and add back to the pasta pot. Pour the creamy butternut squash pasta sauce over the cooked noodles, mixing until combined.
Pasta: to make this recipe allergen free, choose an allergen-friendly pasta option such as rice, quinoa, chickpea or lentil pasta.
Butternut squash: I used frozen and it was pre-cut into small cubes.
To puree the sauce: if you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer your ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a small pot to warm while the pasta is cooking.
Easy Beans & Broccoli (small prep required!): add ~2 cups small broccoli florets to the pasta water in the last minute of cooking. Strain along with the pasta. Add 1 can of strained and rinsed cannellini or navy beans to the pot. Pour sauce over the noodles, beans, and broccoli. Stir to combine.
Lazy Butternut Squash Pasta Dinner (easiest method!): use lentil or chickpea pasta as your noodles – these will double as your protein source! For your veggie, add ~2 cups of spinach to the pasta at the same time you’re combining the sauce with noodles. The heat from the sauce will wilt the spinach. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Crispy Roasted Lentils and Roasted Red Pepper (most prep required!): Spread out 2 cups of sliced peppers on one side of a large sheet pan. On the other side, spread ~1.5 cups of cooked or canned lentils. Drizzle the entire pan with olive oil (about 1.5 tbsp) and season with salt and pepper. Using the convection setting on your oven (at 400F), add the sheet pan to the oven at the same time as your butternut squash pan, stirring each way.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan pasta sauce, butternut squash, roasted vegetables, healthy pasta recipe, easy pasta recipe