This Instant Pot Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable Pilaf is loaded with veggies and chicken to keep it balanced, and ready in under an hour.
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1” pieces
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup pot barley
1 cup mixed brown and wild rice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
½ lb mushrooms, sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Using the sauté function on your Instant Pot, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil into the pot, then add the mushrooms, celery, and carrot. Sauté the vegetables for about 6 minutes, or until mushrooms have shrunk in volume. Remove the vegetables from the pot and set aside.
- Next, with the sauté function still on, add the remaining olive oil to the pot. Sauté the chopped onion for about 3 minutes, then add the chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sauté until cooked, about 6 minutes.
- Add the grains and herbs to the pot, stirring for about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and stir the mixture, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to pressure cook for 20 minutes. Once the 20 minutes is up, use the quick release.
- Remove the lid and stir in the sautéed vegetables. Sample and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Rice: if you’re not using pre-mixed wild & brown rice, use ¾ cup brown + ¼ cup wild rice.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Instant Pot
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Canadian
Keywords: Instant pot recipe, wild rice, brown rice, chicken, carrot, celery, pilaf