This Healthy One Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice recipe is loaded with flavour and ready in under an hour. By relying on frozen vegetables and pantry staples, this weeknight dinner recipe is not only balanced and nutritious, but simple to make too.
1 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken sausages, sliced
½ an onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp ground thyme
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp oregano
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
¾ cup halved cherry tomatoes OR ½ cup canned diced tomatoes
½ lb frozen shrimp, thawed
2 cups frozen vegetables (I used 1 cup peas and 1 cup bell peppers)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sausage and sauté until sausage is cooked and onions have started to brown. Add spices and garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice and stir until lightly toasted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth. If you’re using canned diced tomatoes, add them here. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked through, about ~8-13 minutes. Stir in cherry tomatoes (if using), frozen vegetables, and shrimp.
- Place the pan into the oven (uncovered) and bake until shrimp are cooked through about 10-12 minutes.
Monitor your rice while cooking. Exact cook time will depend on the size of your pan, type of rice, cooking temperature, etc.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Cajun
Keywords: one pan dinner, cajun, shrimp, sausage, rice, frozen vegetables, pantry meal